benefice logo

History - St Mary's Shackleford

St Mary the Virgin Church was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott who is probably better known for designing St Pancras Station in London.

 

St Mary’s Church was built by Rev'd Archdall Buttemer in memory of his wife Julia who died in 1867 and using her family fortune derived from the sugar plantations in Jamaica. Rev'd Archdall engaged the famous Victorian architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, who rather typically of this period built on rather a grand scale and what it lacks in history (compared to the ancient churches of Peper Harow and Compton), it certainly makes up for, in style.

 

The church was consecrated by Bishop Sumner on 7th December 1865 though the spire was not finished till 1872, the same year that Charterhouse School moved from London to Godalming and whilst they waited for their own Chapel to be built, the boys would walk to St. Mary's on Sundays.

 

In 2010 the very good Bishop and Starr organ was completely overhauled and restored at a cost of £26,000 to its original quality performance.

 

As it is the largest church of the three in the Benefice it is used for 'large' parish / benefice services. St Mary's has also been used for craft fairs, presentations and talks, St Mary’s Church of England school nativity plays and some Elam Ministry events.

 

 

 

 

War Memorial

shack c 8

1914-1918

 

L'ce Cpl. J Bias

Pte. J Duke

Pte. F A Edwards

Pte H Edwards

Pte A Elson

Col. F H Fairtlough CMG

Capt. G H Fairtlough MC

Pte A E Fry

Pte W P Fry

Pte R Hawker

Driver W J Hewett

Bombdr F Lamboll

Pte W Laney

Sgt A B Marchant

Pte S W Padwick

Corpl. G Powell

Pte J C Preedy

Pte W Rodgers

Pte J H Stilwell

Bombdr A E Stilwell

Pte C Tongs

CQMS G A W Whiterod

Pte A T Wright

Trooper C J Wrigley

1939-1945

 

Major the Hon. M V Brodrick MC

2nd Lieut. KRW Buttemer RA

Pte CP Coles RASC

Sgt. LJ Jeffrey - RAF

Major the Hon. FA Stewart Mackenzie

 

 

Boxgrove War Memorial

 

Boxgrove Guildford opened as a boarding preparatory school in 1881 with 3 boys. It closed in 1964 with 135 boys. 170 Old Boys fought in World War I and a memorial to the 33 who were killed, including two VC's was erected in the school chapel in 1919. In World War II and in subsequent conflicta about 300 Old Boys served in the Forces, 39 of whom were killed.

A Memorial ws placed on the South Wall of the Chapel in 1951 and was unveiled by the Adjutant - General, general Sir John Crocker, GCB KBE DSO MC ADC whose son was killed in France in 1945.

 

The memorial was re-dedicated in 2003, the 50th anniversary of the end of the Korean War in which Major John Shaw DSO MC  and Sub Lt. Jim Simonds RN were killed.